Monday, April 20, 2009

No lunchtime grab for me?

Too busy at work. It is another beautiful day in Houston. I might try to grab one on the way home or take the kids out after supper. Maybe. :-(

UPDATE - Consecutive days streak broken. Got 10 days in. But this is OK. I have a story to tell and I'll do it when I get a chance.

OK, not every post on this blog is directly geocache-related so shoot me.

We were just about to sit down for supper when a neighbor hurriedly rang the doorbell. He told me he watched a possum come into our front yard from a couple of houses away. The possum wasn't moving and he said he was just playing dead. But I could see from 15' away that there were flies around him. I walked over to him and saw that he was alive but that maybe he had been hit by a car. The flies swarmed his left back leg which had an open wound.

I know this possum. We call him Opie. For the past year+, he comes into our gargage every night and eats the cat food. We don't mind. He's fun to watch and doesn't bother the cats. I had just taken the picture below of him the night before.

I think Opie was coming home (to die or be safe). I ran into the house to grab a cat carrier and to tell my wife that Opie was outside and that he had been hurt. We successfully got him in the carrier. I was able to take him to the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition. I gave a donation and checked off on the form to let us know what happens to him.

We miss you Opie.

As of 5-1-09, I still hadn't heard how he is doing. I'm hoping no news is good news.

Oh, I finally got news on Opie (6-1-09), he was euthanized shortly after I brought him in. :-(

No comments: